Studies and research

Studying in Finland

Studying in Finland

On this site you can find some information about studying in Finland.

Finland has a lot to offer to you as an international student. You can study a whole academic degree, do an exchange or a traineeship. In addition, many educational institutions offer summer courses and Finnish language studies for those of you interested in staying in Finland short-term.

Higher education in Finland has a dual structure. Education is provided by universities and polytechnics, also known as universities of applied sciences. Universities place more emphasise on scientific research and instruction, where polytechnics adopt a more practical approach.

Where to study?

Higher education institutions in Finland

In this section you can find a listing of Finnish universities and UAS’s (universities of applied sciences).


Aalto University
Åbo Akademi University
Hanken School of Economics
Lappeenranta University of Technology
Tampere University of Technology
University of Eastern Finland
University of Helsinki
University of Jyväskylä
University of Lapland
University of Oulu
University of Tampere
University of Turku
University of Vaasa
University of the Arts Helsinki

Visit the universities’ admissions pages for detailed information!

Universities of Applied Sciences

Åland University of Applied Sciences
Arcada University of Applied Sciences
Centria University of Applied Sciences
Diaconia University of Applied Sciences
Haaga-Helia University of Applied Sciences
HAMK University of Applied Sciences

HUMAK University of Applied Sciences
JAMK University of Applied Sciences
Kajaani University of Applied Sciences
Karelia University of Applied Sciences
Kymenlaakso University of Applied Sciences*
Lahti University of Applied Sciences
Lapland University of Applied Sciences
Laurea University of Applied Sciences
Mikkeli University of Applied Sciences *
Novia University of Applied Sciences
Oulu University of Applied Sciences
Saimaa University of Applied Sciences
Satakunta University of Applied Sciences
Savonia University of Applied Sciences
Seinäjoki University of Applied Sciences
Tampere University of Applied Sciences
Turku University of Applied Sciences
VAMK – Vaasa University of Applied Sciences

*) Kymenlaakso UAS and Mikkeli UAS will merge to form XAMK (South-Eastern Finland UAS) from 1st Jan 2017

For detailed advice on the degree course options on offer, your application, entry requirements and so on – always contact the Admissions Office of the university/UAS you’re applying to.

Your Steps to Finland

You can find detailed information on how to apply to Finnish Universities and UAS’s as well as on issues such as immigration and financing your studies on the Study in Finland database updated by the Centre for International Mobility (CIMO). In the database, you can find information about study programmes offered by Finnish higher education institutions. You can search for study programs by university, teaching language, field of study and level of education.

You can access the database here:

Study Programme Database

You can find more information about studying in Finland under the web links found in this .pdf file.
University Studies in Finland

Studying in Japan

Studying in Japan

There are many exchange programs and Japanese language courses available for foreign students interested in studying in Japan. One option is student exchange. Many universities and secondary schools throughout Japan offer exchange programs for foreign students.

If you are interested in student exchange programs and you are currently enrolled in a secondary or higher educational institution, please check with your institutions student services if there are any bilateral exchange programs with Japanese institutions available.

Short-term and long-term exchange programs:

Student exchange is a good way to get to know the country, language and culture. There are both short-term and long-term exchange programs available. Short-term exchange programs are typically intensive language or cultural exchange programs. These focus on homestays, language skills or cultural activities. High school and university students can apply for the programs through various government or non-governmental organizations.

Long-term exchange programs last from six to ten months or up to one full year. Participants attend high school, universities or other educational institutions in their host countries through a student visa. Many exchange programs expect students to have at least basic level Japanese language skills. In addition, some programs require students to pass a standardized test for English language comprehension prior to being accepted into a program. Students usually apply to long-term exchange programs through their home institutions.

Financing your exchange studies:

Living expenses in Japan are quite high compared to many other countries and one thing you should consider before applying to an exchange program is how you are going to finance your studies in Japan. One of the biggest expenses is accommodation. Many Japanese universities have student dorms, which are usually a much cheaper option compared to renting an apartment. Another good option is homestay with a Japanese family. Homestay programs are especially popular among secondary school students studying in Japan. Homestay programs give you the opportunity to participate in the everyday life of a Japanese family.

There are also many different kinds of scholarships available for foreign exchange students studying in Japan. For example the Japanese Government offers grants and scholarships for foreign students. There are six types of scholarships available under the Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarship program: those for research students, teacher training students, undergraduate university students, Japanese studies students, college of technology students and special training students.

You can find more information about these scholarships on the comprehensive study in japan guide at

Another possibility is the JASSO scholarship by Japan Student Services Organization. They offer scholarships for qualified international students who are accepted as an exchange student by a Japanese university, graduate school, junior college, college of technology (3rd grade or upper) or professional training college. For the 2016-2017 academic year the monthly JASSO scholarship was 80,000 JPY.

You can find more information about this scholarship on Japan Student Services Organizations website at

There are also many country specific scholarship and grant options available. Please inquire about these options from the student services of your home institution.



Reports published by the Finnish Institute in Japan will be uploaded on this page.

The first report “A Gateway to Japan – a report made to further strengthen cooperation between Japanese and Finnish academics by mapping opportunities to access Japan for Finnish researchers” is available in PDF format under this link:

A Gateway to Japan – a report made to further strengthen cooperation between Japanese and Finnish academics by mapping opportunities to access Japan for Finnish researchers