Information about Study in Finland

Akari Hara
Higher Education -Information about Study in Finland - Higher Education -Information about Study in Finland
Facebook / Twitter

The Finnish Institute in Japan attends some of the major student fairs in Japan such as the European Higher Education Fair, and at the Japan Association for Student Services´s study abroad fair.  The institute provides information on the Finnish educational offering to Japanese students. The Institute organisms its own events as well where participants are given a through information package about studying in Finland.

For more information, please send an email to

Study in Finland Guidebook (2020)

You can download the Study in Finland guidebook (2020) issued by the Finnish Institute in Japan here (only in Japanese). Otherwise, we will hand them out at students’ fairs and our events.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q1: What is the Finnish higher education system like?

As Finnish higher education institutions, there are two types of universities; University and University of Applied Sciences(UAS).

The mission of Universities is to conduct scientific research and provide scientific and artistic undergraduate and postgraduate education based on it.

The mission of University of Applied Sciences is to train professionals with emphasis on labour market needs and conduct research and development which supports instruction and promotes regional development in particular.





Q2: What is the instruction languages at Finnish universities?

Though Finland has two official languages, which are Finnish and Swedish, you can take degrees in English as well. You have a plenty of programmes taught in English to choose.

Q3: How to find the university and programmes?

You can search the programmes available from your fields of interests on the websites below. The best is always to visit the university’s website to get the latest information.

-Study in Finland:!/selailu/aihe

Q4: How can I apply for Finnish universities as a degree student?

There are mainly two ways to apply; separate application or joint application. You can apply directly to university or you can jointly apply to 6 programmes at maximum through the website

Q5: I don’t have any exchange programme in my Japanese university. Could I study in Finland?

Yes, you can study in Finland as a visiting student or as a free mover.  In general, you can stay from 2 months to one year at maximum. You also might be able to earn credits and transfer to your home universities.

Q6: How can I study for a short term in Finland?

If you are Japanese citizen, you are allowed to stay in Finland without residence permit up to 90 days. If you wish to study for a short time, you can take courses at organizations, for instance, kansalaisopisto, kesäyliopisto, työväenopisto, kielikeskus or summer schools which universities offer. They have a large varieties of courses such as language, IT, art and crafts.

If you would like to study up to 1 year at Finnish higher education institutions, please look at Question 5. 

Q7: Do I need to pay the tuition?

Students from outside the EU/EEA area, you are required to pay tuition fees for bachelor’s and master’s level programmes which are taught in English. The amount of the fee can vary between higher education institutions and the degree programmes.

If you wish to seek for the degree in doctoral level, tuition fees are not charged as of 2020, regardless of your nationality.

You have a large varieties of options for scholarship programme as well.

For more info,

Q8: How much is the living cost in general?

It is said monthly living expenses for students are around €700 – €900 including food, accommodation, travel, insurance, etc. It can vary depending on where you live and your personal living habits.

For more info,

Event Archives