Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about Finland and Finnish customs. If you don’t find the answers you’re looking for here, please contact us via email.

Do I need to be able to speak Finnish when visiting in Finland?

You don’t need to speak Finnish when only visiting Finland. The official languages are Finnish and Swedish, but most of Finnish people are able to speak English. Especially in larger cities and among younger people English level is high.

How much money I need when living in Finland?

Living in Finland is quite expensive, especially if you live in a big city like Helsinki. You can read the estimation on living costs that the University of Helsinki has done from here.

Can I use the Finnish Institute in Japan’s meeting room for my own projects?

If agreed upon, Finnish Institute in Japan can lend its premises for small projects i.e. art shows, but the institute’s office is not meant for holding large meetings, or other projects. If you have more questions, please consult us at ‘Contact Us’ page

Where could I find Finnish artist residence?

You can look for artist residences from our pages, under “News”. Also, you should consult the larger art universities in Finland, that are involved in exchange programs or residence programs, directly. Some private foundations also offer residencies, you can look for them from internet.

Lahti University of Applied Sciences homepage

Villa Sillanpää

Where should I apply grants to Finland?

Please contact your university for applying grants.

How do I find good research opportunities in Finland?

Please consult your university for research possibilities.

How do I get visa to Finland?

You need visa to Finland if you are going to stay for over three months. The Institute cannot help you with the application process, so you need to contact the Embassy of Finland directly.

More information

What is Finnish education system like?

Finnish education is constantly ranked as the best in the world.

The welfare of Finnish society is built on education, culture and knowledge. The flexible education system and basic educational security make for equity and consistency in results.

The Finnish education system is composed of:

  • nine-year basic education (comprehensive school) for the whole age group, preceded by one year of voluntary pre-primary education
  • upper secondary education, comprising general education and vocational education and training (vocational qualifications and further and specialist qualifications)
  • higher education, provided by universities and polytechnics

For more information:
Ministry of Education and Culture

How do I get to study in Finland?

Contact you own school’s or university’s student services and find out whether they have student exchange programmes.
You can also contact Finnish universities directly.

Read more on Finnish education system (pdf-file)

Watch video: Finnish education

Universities in Finland:

loading map - please wait...

The University of Helsinki: 60.169857, 24.948073
The University of Eastern Finland (Kuopio-Joensuu-Savonlinna): 62.893335, 27.679338
Aalto Univeristy: 60.184140, 24.830084
University of Jyväskylä: 62.237693, 25.734015
University of Lapland: 66.490395, 25.726855
Lappeenranta University of Technology : 61.065897, 28.093751
University of Oulu: 65.055926, 25.466401
Hanken, Svenska Handelshögskolan, School of Economics: 60.171236, 24.924159
University of the Arts Helsinki: 60.178734, 24.925999
Åbo Akademi: 60.450846, 22.277844
University of Vaasa: 63.110506, 21.586682
University of Turku: 60.456297, 22.285114
University of Tampere: 61.494972, 23.777802
Tampere University of Technology: 61.450226, 23.861061
National Defense University: 60.153501, 25.050760