Thanks to everyone who participated! The lecture slides are available here.
“Old age and equality: towards a fairer experience of aging” seminar day will be held in the newly built Metsä Pavilion on the grounds of the Finnish Embassy in Japan. The event will run from 13:00 to 18:00 on 29th of October.
Japan is the first nation considered to be a “super-ageing society”, while Finland is one of the fastest ageing countries in Europe. Despite the geographical distance and cultural differences, the two countries face very similar challenges in the coming decades: how to maintain the quality of life in a society where the old outnumber the young? How to respond to the needs of a diverse elderly population? How to create care policy capable of assessing and fulfilling everyone’s needs regardless of societal standing?
The aim of the conference is to share Finnish and Japanese perspectives and approaches to the issues of ageing with a focus on equality and poverty in old age. The talks will address not only the problems, but also the success stories and emerging solutions that can benefit both countries.
Ken Harada, Professor at the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Jissen Women’s University
Teppo Kröger, Professor of Social and Public Policy, University of Jyväskylä.
Satomi Tanaka, Professor at Department of Community and Society, Tsuru University
Virpi Timonen, Professor of Social work and Policy, Trinity College Dublin
October 29th, 2020 at 13:00-18:00 PM
- 13:00 Opening words. Dr. Anna-Maria Wiljanen, Director, Finnish Institute in Japan
- 13:15 Dr. Satomi Tanaka: Regional differences in experiences of aging
- 14:15 Dr. Teppo Kröger: Equality in old age under threat: Care poverty in Finnish and global perspective
- 15:00 Coffee break
- 15:45 Dr. Ken Harada: “Successful aging” and intergenerational relationships in Japan: From the perspective of ageism
- 16:45 Dr. Virpi Timonen: If technology is the answer, what is the question? Reflections on care technologies as ‘solutions’ to the ‘problem’ of aging
- 18:00 Closing remarks
This seminar is a hybrid event taking place in the Metsä Pavilion (max. 50 attendees) and in Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89005465995?pwd=M2oxNE01NXk5YVV1aGFpRnFmSHdJQT09
Venue: Metsä Pavilion (Address: 3-5-39 Minami-Azabu, Minato-ku 106-8561)
Kindly register via Peatix to the face-to-face event in the Metsä Pavilion
Registration here: https://aging-seminar20.peatix.com/